Naming projects and libraries (was: Re: New special effects library)

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Tue Dec 19 13:16:58 GMT 2006

Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2006 13:52 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2006 13:34, schrieb Thomas Zander:
> > living is getting new developers.  So we market for new developers as
> > much, or even more, than for end users.
> > Which makes having cool library names a pretty big deal.
> I think both Zack and Thomas are right.
> So what about using descriptive, simple, nonmystic names in the code, and
> mystic, cool names for the projects developing them?

Well that's also what Trolltech is doing. Tell me whether I'm wrong but as far
as I experienced neither "Arthur", nor "Tulip", etc. appear in the API as the
API should be mostly self explaining. For marketing those names make much
more sense though. So I think that this approach is the right thing to do: If
possible keep the names away from the API but use them to name and advertise
the package as a whole.

Torsten