RFC: Splitting Qt4 packages and implications of this

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Dec 1 19:15:15 GMT 2006

Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>We know the benefits of having splitted Qt4 into gui and nongui libs.
>Now, the question is: what's up at the packaging level?

Nothing. Mandriva is doing it correctly already:

smart> query --provides=libkdecore.so.4
libkdecore4-30000000:3.5.5-2mdv2007.1 at i586

smart> query --provides=libkdeui.so.4
libkdecore4-30000000:3.5.5-2mdv2007.1 at i586

smart> query --provides=libQtCore.so.4
libqtcore4-2:4.2.1-1mdv2007.1 at i586

>We're not able to install a system without X11 dependency and be able to
>develop client or server solutions using Qt. This adds a penalty for Qt
> users from the very beginning compared to Java and .NET, doesn't it?

Complain to your distro.

>The question put to the extreme: what about moving kdecore to a separate
> package?

Already done.

>Of course I am not talking about dealing with packages creation - the
> general question is rather: should we and TT have a clear message
> (read: README.PACKAGERS file) stating that it's recommended to split
> Qt4 (and/or kdelibs) into separate packages, to get better modularity.

Distributors are free to package as they want to. KDE Libs is especially
large, so having a single package might be interesting in terms of
repository complexity.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358