RFC: Splitting Qt4 packages and implications of this

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Dec 1 18:59:09 GMT 2006

We know the benefits of having splitted Qt4 into gui and nongui libs.
Now, the question is: what's up at the packaging level?

We're not able to install a system without X11 dependency and be able to
develop client or server solutions using Qt. This adds a penalty for Qt users
from the very beginning compared to Java and .NET, doesn't it?

Quick search showed me Qt4 package as destributors provide it, is a the same
monolyth as Qt3 was. We have only a runtime benefit, the OS is still bloated
unless a user decodes to break the dependencies and remove the "desktop".

The question put to the extreme: what about moving kdecore to a separate package?

Of course I am not talking about dealing with packages creation - the general
question is rather: should we and TT have a clear message (read:
README.PACKAGERS file) stating that it's recommended to split Qt4 (and/or
kdelibs) into separate packages, to get better modularity.

Unix OSes are quite modular by design, so it's not something normal than the
upcoming Longhorn servers are going to have entirely GUI-less deployment
options and we are loosing this option.

You can ask "what are you talking about when I've not seen a Qt-based server
solution". My answer is: maybe there's a chicken-egg problem caused by
X11-dependency?

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek