3.5.3 Changelog in XML

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 23 19:55:40 BST 2006

Frans Englich wrote:

> On Sunday 23 April 2006 17:41, Frans Englich wrote:
<snip>
>> I prefer schemata in front of DTDs because they validate more stronger
>> and are extensible in another way.
>
> Attached is a schema. changelog.xml does not validate because, there's a
> 'bugno' attribute with the content

"branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/konsole/konsole/konsole.cpp?rev=526028&view=log",
> and the text "Don't stop moving the KalziumTip if the mouse hovers it."
> appears between two product elements. To me it seems like that should
> simply not validate.

Correct - that's just an artefact of the HTML->XML conversion I did. I'll
correct it by hand.

> Comments welcome. Anyone is free to develop it further/claim
> maintainership.

>From what I can tell, it seems OK. I might change some of the "required"
attributes to "optional" later, but that's a small detail.

> Validate with `xmllint --noout --schema kdeChangelog.xsd changelog.xml`.
>

> Btw, some more comments about the stylesheet:
>
> * Some people find "../" more readable than "ancestor::"(especially unix
> geeks). That is, 'select="ancestor::product/@name"' would become
> 'select="../product/@name"'
>
> * 'select=".//element"' is equivalent to 'select="//element". Doesn't make
> a big difference.
>
> * I would normalize the descriptions, in order to reduce file size and
> make it load faster(do it at transform time, instead of having the browser
> do it). That is, instead of apply-templates in template 'bugfix', do
> <xsl:value-of select="string-normalize(.)"/>.

Thanks for the tips; I'll incorporate them into the stylesheet.

Regards,
Philip