3.5.3 Changelog in XML

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 23 18:10:23 BST 2006

Carsten Niehaus wrote:

> Moin
>
> On IRC, Philip Rodrigues, me and others talked about the ChangeLog for the
> .z releases we do [1]. Phil came up with some XML-magic which
> automagically creates nice HTML from the attached xml. This makes
> maintaining a CL easier, because for example there is no need to type the
> bugs.kde.org-link.
>
> What do you think?

Just to add a little more information: I've done this as something of a
proof-of-concept, so the details aren't finalised.  At the moment, I have
two XSL stylesheets to transform the XML to HTML in slightly different ways
(group by module/product and group by change type). I've attached them
both, in case anyone's interested in trying them out [1].

Carsten tells me that some people have been adding to the current HTML
changelog, so the most important consideration is whether those people
would still be happy to edit the XML version (there will be a description
of the format and how to edit/check the file if we decide to go ahead).   I
think the XML-based method is nice and elegant, but if no-one adds their
changes, then that elegance isn't worth very much, and we should probably
stick with the current HTML method.

So, is there anyone who has been adding their changes to the HTML changelog,
but would *not* be happy to add their changes to the XML version?

Regards,
Philip

1. To transform the XML, use:
# xsltproc changelog.xsl changelog.xml > changelog.html
or replace changelog.xsl with changelog-by-type.xsl