3.5.3 Changelog in XML

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Apr 23 19:49:29 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 17:41, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Sunday 23 April 2006 17:12, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > Frans Englich wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Do you have a schema for it such that the format is well defined and
> > > that you can validate it?
> >
> > I made up the format off the top of my head, but I'll do a DTD for it.
> > I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Schema though. It should be subject to
> > change though - no doubt we'll think of things to add to the format in
> > the near future.
>
> I'll flesh out a schema later today; I'll probably post tonight.
>
> I prefer schemata in front of DTDs because they validate more stronger and
> are extensible in another way.

Attached is a schema. changelog.xml does not validate because, there's a
'bugno' attribute with the content
"branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/konsole/konsole/konsole.cpp?rev=526028&view=log",
and the text "Don't stop moving the KalziumTip if the mouse hovers it."
appears between two product elements. To me it seems like that should simply
not validate.

Comments welcome. Anyone is free to develop it further/claim maintainership.

Validate with `xmllint --noout --schema kdeChangelog.xsd changelog.xml`.

Btw, some more comments about the stylesheet:

* Some people find "../" more readable than "ancestor::"(especially unix
geeks). That is, 'select="ancestor::product/@name"' would become
'select="../product/@name"'

* 'select=".//element"' is equivalent to 'select="//element". Doesn't make a
big difference.

* I would normalize the descriptions, in order to reduce file size and make it
load faster(do it at transform time, instead of having the browser do it).
That is, instead of apply-templates in template 'bugfix', do <xsl:value-of
select="string-normalize(.)"/>.

Cheers,

		Frans