A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Apr 9 16:09:48 BST 2006

Lubos Lunak wrote:

>> >./kapplication.cpp:556:  (void) KClipboardSynchronizer::self();
>>
>> What does that do? Why do we need a clipboard synchroniser? What's
>> missing from QClipboard?
>
> You mean besides the willingness to do any change to QClipboard?

Let me know what changes are needed.

>Also, from your list:
>> KXErrorHandler -> private class!
>
> It's again a normal X11 utility class, why private?

Because it's X11-specific. We shouldn't encourage people to write
X11-specific code anymore.

>> KStartupInfo -> private class!
>
> This is needed even by apps, in rare cases.

From what I read, we can do that with D-Bus signals. And it's very
X11-specific (WId, depends on the WM, etc.) If we can get rid of this, it
would in turn mean:

>> KXMessages -> D-Bus
>
> No, it's internal to KStartupInfo.

wouldn't be necessary.

As far as I can see, all three classes depend heavily on X11. My feeling
is it would be better to change this into a window-system-neutral
solution, if possible.

In any event, KXMessages is an IPC mechanism using X11. Why do we need
more than one IPC mechanism?

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway