A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Apr 8 06:23:36 BST 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 07:15, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > LOL. How will Qt call kfmclient, exactly?
> >
> > Qt can call xdg-open, see
> > http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/TaskOpenURL
>
> while i'm a fan of the portland stuff, does it make sense to have kde rely
> on it? (serious question, not a rhetorical one)

Yes, that's a good question... I think so, because it allows a distribution to
change how things are handled by changing the portland implementation. It
would introduce of cource an extra level of indirection, so an alternative
for KDE apps could be to check if KDE is running and only call the portland
stuff when running outside KDE. Depends a bit on whether Qt will provide
hooks for things like that.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation