A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Apr 8 09:10:21 BST 2006

Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Yes, that's a good question... I think so, because it allows a
> distribution to change how things are handled by changing the portland
> implementation. It would introduce of cource an extra level of
> indirection, so an alternative for KDE apps could be to check if KDE is
> running and only call the portland stuff when running outside KDE.
> Depends a bit on whether Qt will provide hooks for things like that.

This would all be handled by the KDE initialisation functions, that will
be called by the KApplication constructor. Of course, apps shouldn't have
to enter the business of detecting the desktop they're running on nor
should they offer that as a configuration option.

Anyways, the way I see it, the Portland integration would greatly benefit
if it were implemented with D-Bus. So instead of using libdapi inside KDE
(or Qt!), we'd simply make standard D-Bus calls, just like we do now with
DCOP & klauncher (the start_service_by_* functions).

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway