Header files (Re: A little review of kdecore & kdeui)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Apr 7 17:44:59 BST 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 00:11, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 07 April 2006 00:09, Richard Moore wrote:
> > On 4/6/06, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > > No really. Qt uses lowercase.{cpp,h} in the source tree. The
> > > <QStatusBar>-like headers are only forwarders. I think we should do the
> > > same for kdelibs. Leaving things unchanged in the source tree, but
> > > installing qt-like forwarding headers. I just wonder how those
> > > forwarding headers are created, in Qt (automatically, or manually)...
> >
> > I have to say that I truly hate this change in Qt. It is an absolute PITA
> > for me generating bindings (especially because the contents of a
> > 'make install' Qt and a 'srcdir  = builddir = installdir' Qt are
> > different). Please god lets not make the same mistake in KDEs code.
>
> Well there is no way to use kdelibs with builddir == installdir anyway, so
> I don't see the point. My idea was to generate those forwarding headers
> during make install. This means however that using <KFoo> wouldn't be
> possible from inside kdelibs itself.

But this would mean that code which compiles without problems outside of
kdelibs wouldn't compile inisde kdelibs. Or to put it in other words: if one
developer is used to using camelcase includes, and then works in kdelibs, he
will find out that there his usual include style doesn't work.

I wouldn't do this, IMO it doesn't bring any real advantage but several (more
or less minor) disadvantages.

Bye
Alex