[KDE4] KNotification

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 00:11:19 BST 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 04:55 pm, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> There is no more KNotify daemon in the current implementation (all is done
> in the client library)
> But i would like to implement a daemon for PassivePopup, that follow the
> specification of http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/

Does eliminating the KNotify daemon mean that apps like KTTSD cannot subscribe
to notification events from all applications?  It would be impractical for
KTTSD to have to keep track of every application that comes and goes and
connect/disconnect from those apps.   To see what I'm talking about in
KTTSD, look here:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdeaccessibility/kttsd/knotify.html

The ability to have a single message hub for notifications is important to
accessibility.

One way to solve this without having the KNotify daemon would be for the
client library to automatically put every notification on the dbus (with
appropriate type flags, etc.) or broadcast a dcop message.

BTW, the freedesktop.org spec you reference already calls for a notification
"server", so KNotify doesn't really go away?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer