[KDE4] KNotification

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Sep 16 21:55:08 BST 2005

Hello.

I'd like to commit a new class in kdelibs:
KNotification
It's a replacement for KNotifyClient/KNotify

I have developed it in Kopete, in order to add the "chat" link in the passive
popup.   The files are knotification.{h,cpp} , present in the kopete svn.
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdenetwork/kopete/libkopete/knotification.h?rev=461201&view=markup

The work is far from complete,  but i'd like to push it in kdelibs now, and
remove properly the KNotifyClient (by moving it in kde3compat)   because
otherwise, it will be hard to keep it in sync with change others developers
do in the existing class

What does KNotification :
 The current main new feature is the possibility to add actions to the passive
popup. (the "chat" link in the kopete popup)
 It let the applicaiton a better control over the notification. (to tell it
when the notification stop)
 The notification may or may not have a timeout, and be present until the
message is actually read.
 Notification contexts:  different notification depending if you received a
mail in your inbox, or in your mailing-list folder.

Notification is for popups menu or sound, or everything that can be imagined
(example: let the newmail LED blink on some laptop, for some notifications)

There is no more KNotify daemon in the current implementation (all is done in
the client library)
But i would like to implement a daemon for PassivePopup, that follow the
specification of http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/

Like i said, the class implementation is still far from complete, but I'm
going to improve it.

So I'll add it in kdelibs soon.
Thanks for your attention.