[KDE4] KNotification

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 00:46:52 BST 2005

Le Samedi 17 Septembre 2005 01:11, Gary Cramblitt a écrit :
> On Friday 16 September 2005 04:55 pm, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > There is no more KNotify daemon in the current implementation (all is
> > done in the client library)
> > But i would like to implement a daemon for PassivePopup, that follow the
> > specification of http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/
>
> Does eliminating the KNotify daemon mean that apps like KTTSD cannot
> subscribe to notification events from all applications?

Yes, I have a problem with that dcop signal.
there will still be an daemon, but only for passive popups, so that's not
enough.

> To see what I'm talking about in KTTSD, look here:
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdeaccessibility/kttsd/knotify.html

But KTTSD could be included directly into KNotification
I mean that add more actions in the the current notification config dialog.
Note that this dialog will also be reworked in order to make it more usable.

> One way to solve this without having the KNotify daemon would be for the
> client library to automatically put every notification on the dbus (with
> appropriate type flags, etc.) or broadcast a dcop message.

I will have a look.

> BTW, the freedesktop.org spec you reference already calls for a
> notification "server", so KNotify doesn't really go away?

Yes, but it will only handle passive popups.