KFeedbackWizard - another try

Christian Nitschkowski segfault_ii at web.de
Tue Sep 13 17:23:54 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 13:21 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Christian,

Hi Ellen!

> I therefore suggest to use the wizard to learn basics about an
> application's user base, with the end-goal to get in touch with them.
>
> In the feedback wizard, one might ask things like:
> - how long have you been using the app
> - how often
> - what describes your tasks best
> - do you follow websites round the app
> - how well you think have you mastered the app
> - ...

The lib that comes with the package allows customization to a great degree, so
asking different questions would be no problem at all.
The standard questions that come with the package are more meant as an
example.

> Then, they should be asked to leave their email address for follow-up
> studies (voluntarily).

Would be possible, too.

> Still, there are a few methodological points to consider:
>
> - How will users learn that the feedback wizard is there? I fear rather
> weak users (those who call the help) and power users (those who want to
> report a bug or view 'about' information) will find the menu entry, but
> only few intermediate ones. This will result in a biased sample.

That's a problem I've faced, too.
I don't know about a really good solution to this.
When it's put in the help menu it isn't that recognizable at first.

When I first thought about a tool like a feedback wizard, I implemented it a
different way.
On the applications first startup, the day of first start was saved in the
config.
Each time the application was restarted, it was counted in the config, too.
After around 20 days after first startup and around 10 starts (BOTH had to
happen) the wizard popped up automatically on application startup.
On the first page there was a checkbox (checked by default).
When the wizard was closed with this checkbox checked, it would popup the next
time the app gets started.
When the checkbox got unchecked and the wizard closed, or when the wizard was
finished by clicking through all pages, it never came up again automatically.

If the user wanted to answer the questions again, or if he didn't meant to
disable it he is still able to get the wizard back by starting it from the
Help-Menu.

> Greetings,
> /el

Best Regards
Christian

--
--: Christian Nitschkowski <segfault_ii at web.de> :--
--: Jabber: segfault_ii at a-message.de :--

Go where the silence is and say something
- Chumbawamba