KFeedbackWizard - another try

Ellen Reitmayr ellen.reitmayr at relevantive.de
Tue Sep 13 12:21:48 BST 2005

Hi Christian,

from a usability point of view, I also like to idea of collecting user
feedback :) That's why I cc'ed the usability-devel list.

But well, feedback is quite useless if you don't get reasons why
something is good or bad. Users probably won't answer more than 8-10
questions in such a dialog, and they are ususally very bad at expressing
reasons and comments :-|

I therefore suggest to use the wizard to learn basics about an
application's user base, with the end-goal to get in touch with them.

In the feedback wizard, one might ask things like:
- - how long have you been using the app
- - how often
- - what describes your tasks best
- - do you follow websites round the app
- - how well you think have you mastered the app
- - ...

Then, they should be asked to leave their email address for follow-up
studies (voluntarily).

Still, there are a few methodological points to consider:

- - How will users learn that the feedback wizard is there? I fear rather
weak users (those who call the help) and power users (those who want to
report a bug or view 'about' information) will find the menu entry, but
only few intermediate ones. This will result in a biased sample.

- - How often should a person be allowed to fill in the feedback wizard?
Does it make sense to provide a menu entry for a function which is
probably called only once in an app's life time? Put it in the help
window, maybe? hmmm....

IMO, we might live with these restrictions if we consider them in the
analysis.

Greetings,
/el

Christian Nitschkowski wrote:
> Hi *!
>
> I've worked on a feedback wizard application some time ago.
> It was suggested that I should contact you on this ML as a tool like this has
> been discussed by you kde-devs.
> I already tried to send to this list, but my mail never got approved.
> I hope I've got more luck this time ;-)
> Anyway, back to topic.
>
> My feedback wizard is a small stand-alone application that can be called by
> other applications to ask the user some predefined questions about his
> opinion about the application.
> The results will then be printed on console as a XML document and can be send
> by eMail to the applications developers.
>
> If you're interested in an application like this, please take a look
> here http://kde-forum.org/interview_feedback.pdf
> here http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=20360 (old version)
> or here https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/utils/kfeedbackwizard
> (current)
>
> As I'm not on this list - please CC me when answering.
>
> Best Regards
> Christian Nitschkowski

- --

Ellen Reitmayr          email: reitmayr at relevantive.de
Usability Engineer      mobil: +49.177.3325867
relevantive AG          fon:   +49.30.23455630
Zehdenicker Str. 21     fax:   +49.30.23455639
10119 Berlin            web:   www.relevantive.de