KSettings::Dialog (Was: Configure entries (Was: Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus))

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Sep 9 10:18:50 BST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 12:27, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 10:29, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > In a nutshell KSettings::Dialog collects the configuration pages from all
> > components that registered one or more pages into a hierarchical
> > structure. Those pages are all KCModules and are loaded in-process.
>
> It looks really neat, and I'm impressed by the amount of documentation you
> wrote for it, but the examples in the KSettings namespace dox are a little
> hard to follow. Have you considered writing a tutorial about this?

I guess I should do that if I want to see widespread adoption... I did
consider writing a tutorial, but dropped the idea because of other things
with higher priorities.

> If
> KSettings::Dialog should become a (the) norm for KDE4, it's essential that
> that is documented (and that the older KDE2&3 plugins tutorials get moved
> away into a 'historical' section on
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/index.html .

_If_ it should become the norm. I think it has the potential, but there are
still a few things to be done. Especially with regard to component selection.
Fixing this goes hand in hand with ripping apart KJanusWidget and
KDialogBase. Those two made the code so much more complicated that I
considered not using KCMultiDialog but doing it all by myself (not using
KJanusWidget -> KDialogBase -> KCMultiDialog).

If people think these classes are worth to become the norm for KDE 4, then I'm
willing to look into it again (or even better: guide somebody to get it ready
for KDE4 - since I really have too many things to do already).

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de