Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Fri Sep 2 21:06:03 BST 2005

Am Freitag, 2. September 2005 21:34, schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> On Friday 02 September 2005 20:19, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > On Friday 02 September 2005 12:37, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > > Well, as the document about the new KDE4 icons seems to want to
> > > *remove* the icons from the menus in KDE4, I am not sure about to
> > > enable by default the icons on buttons in KDE 3.5, as long as this is
> > > not clear.
>
> (...)
>
> > But why would they just up and remove all the icons?
>
> As far as I have understood multiple discussions, SVG icons in small sizes
> are not very nice and the current small KDE icons made from SVG are
> corrected by hand.

Is this still state of the art? I use Umicons recently and cannot really see
too much problems with the surely not handtuned 16x16 icons. And my eyes
really first scan the icons in the menu, than reassure with the text, I just
checked.

Dpis are getting higher, so the used pixel sizes increase from 16x16. One of
my desktops has a 1400x1024 screen, with dpi of 116x116. There I use 22x22
for the small icons and enjoy everything being as large in RL (on physical
display) like with my 1024x768 but being more smooth.

> So I suppose that the artists want to avoid the manual correction.

Which is understandable. But what about simply dropping that complicate size
then (optionally)?

What about e.g. the taskbar? The size of the icons used there will hardly be
larger than the ones in the menu bar. And still we keep them as they help to
separate the different entries, don't we?

Regards
Friedrich