more on the kmenu, yay!

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 22:08:36 BST 2005

Am Dienstag 06 September 2005 22:26 schrieb seele at obso1337.org:

Hi Celeste!

> in the mean time, lets fix what we can. labeling, content, and
> organization are three major areas we can address with the current kmenu
> for 3.5.  since i am only a humble usability volunteer, i have no idea who
Hmm, I'm afraid this is not the case. KDE 3.5 is in message freeze, this kind
of includes labeling, content and as documentation is affected also the
organization. I know this will be frustrating, but I suggest we concentrate
on getting it right for KDE4 (I guess, most can be reused here)

> to talk to about the actual content ownership of the kmenu.  also,
> organization is not universal throughout distributions, and this may pose
> a problem.
It's not just the distributions, it's also the number of applications
installed in whatever distribution that can change the look of the menu.
SUSE's KDE has some improvements there as it tries to reduce the number of
hierarchies in a default installation and only in areas where you install
additional software (Development for me, will be different for others) you
get deeper hierarchies.
But for this you have to know what applications are available and how a
default selection would look like (which is much easier for a distribution
than for "KDE" - it already starts with 'extragear in or out?').

> so here are a list of things id like to know:
>
> * what distros want to participate in a trial kmenu reorganization?
I'll gladly give you feedback on any change you suggest would affect the menu
for SUSE - if that's what you're asking for. We can also easily provide
several versions of the package that does the menu organization for people to
try and give feedback.

> * who 'owns' (or claims) kmenu organization?
Waldo :)
Or rather: Freedesktop.org gives the distributions an easy tool to define how
the menu should be organized. And to my knowledge Distributions make heavy
use of it (KDE's mapping is pretty basic). But as I said: it all comes down
to the problem that a distribution seeing importance in Multimedia will try
to split that submenu stronger than a distribution seeing importance in
Development.

> * who is willing to assist in translation tests to make sure labels are
> universally understood?
I'm afraid I miss the meaning of that terminology. I doubt you want to find
wordings that are understood no matter what language the user speaks.

Greetings, Stephan