more on the kmenu, yay!

seele at obso1337.org seele at obso1337.org
Tue Sep 6 22:47:29 BST 2005

> Hmm, I'm afraid this is not the case. KDE 3.5 is in message freeze, this

ah, boo, i remember lauri talking about this at akademy

> It's not just the distributions, it's also the number of applications
> installed in whatever distribution that can change the look of the menu.

the number of applications and the type of applications which show up in
kmenu also pose a problem.  there are applications which have a strict
document relationship such as KPDF.  however since there is no other way
for average users to get a definitive list of applications, this is more
difficult to address early on.

> SUSE's KDE has some improvements there as it tries to reduce the number of
> hierarchies in a default installation and only in areas where you install
> additional software (Development for me, will be different for others) you
> get deeper hierarchies.

ah yes, but suse also has the issue of reorganizing the hierarchy possibly
every time you install an application..

>> * what distros want to participate in a trial kmenu reorganization?
> I'll gladly give you feedback on any change you suggest would affect the
> menu
> for SUSE - if that's what you're asking for. We can also easily provide
> several versions of the package that does the menu organization for people
> try and give feedback.

that sounds like a good start.  id like to set up a kmenu test and see how
well we can reorganize it, relabel it, how well it tests, how well it
scales, and how good it tastes as an ice cream flavor

>> * who 'owns' (or claims) kmenu organization?
> Waldo :)
> Or rather: Freedesktop.org gives the distributions an easy tool to define
> how
> the menu should be organized. And to my knowledge Distributions make heavy
> use of it (KDE's mapping is pretty basic). But as I said: it all comes
> down
> to the problem that a distribution seeing importance in Multimedia will
> try
> to split that submenu stronger than a distribution seeing importance in
> Development.

so i would contact them to talk about coming up with some kmenu
organization guidelines?

>> * who is willing to assist in translation tests to make sure labels are
>> universally understood?
> I'm afraid I miss the meaning of that terminology. I doubt you want to

for example, literal english->[language] translations dont always have the
same meaning, so to be truly effective, we would want a native speaker to
evaluate the label.

Thanks,

Celeste