Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Fri Sep 2 21:52:34 BST 2005

Am Freitag, 2. September 2005 22:25, schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> On Friday 02 September 2005 22:06, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > >
> > > (...)

> > > As far as I have understood multiple discussions, SVG icons in small
> > > sizes are not very nice and the current small KDE icons made from SVG
> > > are corrected by hand.
> >
> > Is this still state of the art? I use Umicons recently and cannot really
> > see too much problems with the surely not handtuned 16x16 icons. And my
> > eyes really first scan the icons in the menu, than reassure with the
> > text, I just checked.
>
> Then why is there a refusal of the artists (or at least the ones making
> Oxygen) to do 16x16?

That is still to be told. Tackat wants this to be asked on somehow more
appropriate lists like kde-artists at kde.org or kde-usability at kde.org.

> > Dpis are getting higher, so the used pixel sizes increase from 16x16. One
> > of my desktops has a 1400x1024 screen, with dpi of 116x116. There I use
> > 22x22 for the small icons and enjoy everything being as large in RL (on
> > physical display) like with my 1024x768 but being more smooth.
>
> However not everybody has a state-of-the-art computer

Yes, but I guess we agree that KDE should be prepared for those, too?

> and also it has been
> stated a few times that there exist users (not even with eye difficulties)
> that prefer 800x600 even if their video card and their monitor could do a
> much higher resolution. ("Everything is so nicely big".)

Isn't this the Windows approach(tm)? KDE can scale a lot, fonts, icons, window
borders etc., so you can get physical sizes close to your likings. Or don't I
get you here?

> > What about e.g. the taskbar? The size of the icons used there will hardly
> > be larger than the ones in the menu bar. And still we keep them as they
> > help to separate the different entries, don't we?
>
> The default icons in the taskbar are 32x32 as far as I know. If this size
> is at disposition, then we will really have a crisis in KDE.

Do you mix taskbar and panel?

Friedrich