Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Sep 2 21:25:37 BST 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 22:06, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. September 2005 21:34, schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > > But why would they just up and remove all the icons?
> >
> > As far as I have understood multiple discussions, SVG icons in small
> > sizes are not very nice and the current small KDE icons made from SVG are
> > corrected by hand.
>
> Is this still state of the art? I use Umicons recently and cannot really
> see too much problems with the surely not handtuned 16x16 icons. And my
> eyes really first scan the icons in the menu, than reassure with the text,
> I just checked.

Then why is there a refusal of the artists (or at least the ones making
Oxygen) to do 16x16?

> Dpis are getting higher, so the used pixel sizes increase from 16x16. One
> of my desktops has a 1400x1024 screen, with dpi of 116x116. There I use
> 22x22 for the small icons and enjoy everything being as large in RL (on
> physical display) like with my 1024x768 but being more smooth.

However not everybody has a state-of-the-art computer and also it has been
stated a few times that there exist users (not even with eye difficulties)
that prefer 800x600 even if their video card and their monitor could do a
much higher resolution. ("Everything is so nicely big".)

> > So I suppose that the artists want to avoid the manual correction.
>
> Which is understandable. But what about simply dropping that complicate
> size then (optionally)?

There is also the alternate question: should small icons really be extra-nice?

As for being optional, I do not think that it is possible. Either there are
such icons in KDE (be it in "stock" or be it drawn at run-time) or there are
not such icons. (Icons are not Schrödinger's cats.)

> What about e.g. the taskbar? The size of the icons used there will hardly
> be larger than the ones in the menu bar. And still we keep them as they
> help to separate the different entries, don't we?

The default icons in the taskbar are 32x32 as far as I know. If this size is
at disposition, then we will really have a crisis in KDE.

> Regards
> Friedrich

Have a nice day!