Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sat Sep 3 09:09:40 BST 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 22:52, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. September 2005 22:25, schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
(...)
> > > Dpis are getting higher, so the used pixel sizes increase from 16x16.
> > > One of my desktops has a 1400x1024 screen, with dpi of 116x116. There I
> > > use 22x22 for the small icons and enjoy everything being as large in RL
> > > (on physical display) like with my 1024x768 but being more smooth.
> >
> > However not everybody has a state-of-the-art computer
>
> Yes, but I guess we agree that KDE should be prepared for those, too?

Yes, sure but I do not think that I should worry about KDE being adapted for
those. ;-)

> > and also it has been
> > stated a few times that there exist users (not even with eye
> > difficulties) that prefer 800x600 even if their video card and their
> > monitor could do a much higher resolution. ("Everything is so nicely
> > big".)
>
> Isn't this the Windows approach(tm)? KDE can scale a lot, fonts, icons,
> window borders etc., so you can get physical sizes close to your likings.
> Or don't I get you here?

Yes, sure KDE can scale everything nicely. (That is also why SVG is the
future, to scale even better.)

But what I mean is that the liking of people is not always as obvious as
developers might think.

(Also perhaps it is easier to configure a distribution for 800x600 than to
tweak fonts and icons for KDE, GNOME and every other applications used in the
distribution. Already for KDE, setting the fonts in KControl might not change
all fonts in all KDE applications.)

Also I have thought in the meantime that abondonning 800x600 could be a bad
idea, when devices that are today mobile phones or PDAs would grow one day to
run KDE with a size 800x600.

> > > What about e.g. the taskbar? The size of the icons used there will
> > > hardly be larger than the ones in the menu bar. And still we keep them
> > > as they help to separate the different entries, don't we?
> >
> > The default icons in the taskbar are 32x32 as far as I know. If this size
> > is at disposition, then we will really have a crisis in KDE.
>
> Do you mix taskbar and panel?

Oops, you right. There are 16x16 and indeed using 22x22 would not mix well
with the panel using 32x32, as the panel has one line of 32x32 while the
taskbar has 2 lines of 16x16.

Have a nice day!