kedulaunch --> KDE Application Launcher (or "Berlin Migration")

Christian Loose christian.loose at hamburg.de
Thu Sep 1 20:47:28 BST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 21:01, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Thursday 01 September 2005 17:39, Christian Loose wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 September 2005 03:07, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > you may have seen last night's commit of the nxfish:/ extension to
> > > our beloved fish:// KIO slave:
> > >
> > >    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=112535566514080&w=2
> >
> > Cool! Does this also work with a Windows nx client?
>
> We started to test things a with a local Windows XP machine 5 minutes
> ago. But.... no, I am not expecting it to work with Windows for now.
> This would be a little wonder....  ;-)

Thanks for the reply.

> > > The only gripe we have with kedulaunch currently, is that it so far
> > > is limited to launching "KDE Edu applications only" in a hard-coded
> > > way.
> >
> > I can't comment on kedulauncher since I haven't used it yet, but what
> > about "kfmclient openURL applications:/" or a Konqueror profiles with
> > applications:/ as saved URL?
>
> Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.
>
> > Doesn't this already provide what you want?
>
> This is what we used before. But kedulaunch looks so much nicer.
> Also, Konqueror by default allows to do "menu --> Window --> Show
> Terminal Emulator", and we do not want to give shell access to a
> user. We know shell access could be forbidden by Kiosk means.
> The kedulaunch concept provides a very simple way to only enable
> *some* applications, without even needing to exercise Kiosk
> gymnastics, and has an interface that is *much* simpler than Konqui
> with toolbar(s)+menu...

Oh, okay.

Maybe your requirements could be incorporated into the KMenu replacement ALI
[1][2] from the plasma guys. Just another suggestions. :)

Bye, Christian

[1] http://marccramdal.blogspot.com/2005/07/thoughts-about-plasma-ali.html
[2] http://baghira.sourceforge.net/ALI.shtml