kedulaunch --> KDE Application Launcher (or "Berlin Migration")

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Sep 1 20:01:55 BST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 17:39, Christian Loose wrote:
> On Thursday 01 September 2005 03:07, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > you may have seen last night's commit of the nxfish:/ extension to
> > our beloved fish:// KIO slave:
> >
> >    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=112535566514080&w=2
>
> Cool! Does this also work with a Windows nx client?

We started to test things a with a local Windows XP machine 5 minutes
ago. But.... no, I am not expecting it to work with Windows for now.
This would be a little wonder....  ;-)

> > Today we made a new discovery that will be extremely beneficial to
> > the future KDE and NX/FreeNX cooperation and integration: it is
> > called
> >
> >    kedulauncher
> >
> > If we insert this as the command into a "Unix --> Custom"-type of
> > remote NX session configuration, it definitely will make a great
> > remote NX application launcher (even though it was probably made
> > by the author with only running local applications in mind).
> >
> > The only gripe we have with kedulaunch currently, is that it so far
> > is limited to launching "KDE Edu applications only" in a hard-coded way.
>
> I can't comment on kedulauncher since I haven't used it yet, but what about
> "kfmclient openURL applications:/" or a Konqueror profiles with
> applications:/ as saved URL?

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

> Doesn't this already provide what you want?

This is what we used before. But kedulaunch looks so much nicer.
Also, Konqueror by default allows to do "menu --> Window --> Show
Terminal Emulator", and we do not want to give shell access to a
user. We know shell access could be forbidden by Kiosk means.
The kedulaunch concept provides a very simple way to only enable
*some* applications, without even needing to exercise Kiosk
gymnastics, and has an interface that is *much* simpler than Konqui
with toolbar(s)+menu...

> Bye, Christian

Cheers,
Kurt