question about win32 related patched

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Oct 18 16:58:01 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2005 15:05 schrieb David Faure:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 11:48, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > currently I'm trying to fix the bksys build system for win32  KDE/Qt4
> > using g++ (Minimal gnu for Windows Environment - mingw ).
> >
> > While perfoming this I recognized that there are some minor only win32
> > related patches for kdecore and friends required.
> >
> > It is necessary that those only  win32 related patches are reviewed every
> > time on this list ?
>
> If it's about kdelibs/win I'd say no, but if it's about the source code I'd
> say yes, because we want to avoid #ifdef mess so maybe we can figure out
> how to do things cleanly?

I know what you mean, I found that with dcopserver.cpp. Thought already about
to cleanup some stuff there.

I think  there is a potential in several parts to define platform independent
lowlevel functions for example getHomePath or so and to place the real
implementation on a central location. Unfortunally kdecore/fakes.c, where
such functions could  live  is located in kdecore and not lower in the
hierachy. This let me think if in future KDE should have an os extension
library (as the win dir for win32 now), which contains all the missing
functions and fixes the os related flawing, so that all kde libs can work
with a unique set of lowlevel functions.
The win dir is currently designed as a set of source files and compiler
specific system header in include/<compiler>/... (for example mingw missed
some network header), which structure may be used for additional platforms
and or compiler.

> But if you're confident about your cleanliness  then no review here is
necessary (post-commit review happens anyway for
> small enough diffs)...

Okay, Thanks

Ralf