KDE (vs GNOME)

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Nov 18 02:48:04 GMT 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 05:54 pm, Michael Pyne wrote:
> Well again, this isn't a reaction against GNOME, it's a legitimate
> issue.  I hate to pick on Konqueror but look through their
> configuration dialog. You're exactly right when you say improvements
> can be made.  But do you have better ideas?

I'll jump in here with a comment about KTweakUI: Please don't! This is
the wrong approach. This isn't a reaction against GNOME, but Windows'
TweakUI does vaguely resemble GNOME's gconf, which is probably why the
association was made.

Advanced users want ease of use and a streamline interface too, and
should not have to settle for a nightmare like TweakUI or gconf. Just
because we CAN read the source code to figure out what all of these
thousands of options are, does not mean that we WANT to!

The best solution takes more work though, which I guess is why it's not
being done. The best solution is to deliberately and consciously design
the configuration interface around the casual user, and THEN add an
"Advanced" button for everyone else. But above all it all needs to be
*designed* intelligently. A configuration dialog should never be an
afterthought.

In my opinion, of course.

Maybe we need a KDE Configuration team? It would free up the developer
to do the meaty stuff he does best, while the team deals with creating
an appropriate and consistant configuration interface. Just a
thought...

--
David Johnson