KDE (vs GNOME)

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Fri Nov 18 01:54:03 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 19:40, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2005, at 8:02 PM, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 November 2005 06:04, Jonas Christian Drewsen wrote:
> >> I think KDE could get rid of lot of bloat by:
> >>
> >> 1) Strip Control Center and other setting dialogs to the most
> >> common stuff.
> >>
> >> 2) Create a new app called e.g. KTweakGui or something that can be
> >> used for
> >> all the special things like text shadows, cursor settings etc.
> >>
> >> This way KDE will be easy for new users and for common operations.
> >> At the
> >> same time, many things that can only be tweaked by altering
> >> settings files
> >> in .kde/ today, would have a nice GUI too.
> >
> > I like this idea as well.  Scott and I struggle with JuK in trying
> > to add
> > features without having to add a "Configure JuK" dialog.  So far
> > we're still
> > winning but it would be nice in general I think to have the
> > configure dialogs
> > of the major KDE applications have the necessary options and then
> > have a
> > KTweakUI for advanced uses.
>
> This sounds a lot like GNOME's approach with the gconftool front end
> that I absolutely loathe with every bone in my body.  =:/

Not everything needs to be a reaction to what GNOME does, and that's not why I
was suggesting it.

> Or am I missing the point of the
> discussion?  It sounded like this discussion was in response to the
> decision of yet another American distribution to not use KDE?

I think you're missing the point.  Really this kind of discussion comes up all
the time, and I am convinced that even European users find some KDE
applications unwieldy at times, not just us retarded Americans. ;)

> Could improvements be made?  Sure, absolutely.
> But I see just as much need for improvement
> with GNOME.

Well again, this isn't a reaction against GNOME, it's a legitimate issue.  I
hate to pick on Konqueror but look through their configuration dialog.
You're exactly right when you say improvements can be made.  But do you have
better ideas?

> It sure seems like there's another reason that's not
> being truthfully told....

Whoa there, don't cue the tinfoil hats yet, I don't see any black
helicopters...

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne