KDE (vs GNOME)

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Fri Nov 18 03:01:58 GMT 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 21:48, David Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 17 November 2005 05:54 pm, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > Well again, this isn't a reaction against GNOME, it's a legitimate
> > issue.  I hate to pick on Konqueror but look through their
> > configuration dialog. You're exactly right when you say improvements
> > can be made.  But do you have better ideas?
>
> I'll jump in here with a comment about KTweakUI: Please don't! This is
> the wrong approach. This isn't a reaction against GNOME, but Windows'
> TweakUI does vaguely resemble GNOME's gconf, which is probably why the
> association was made.

Well, when I talk about a KTweakUI, I mean something on the lines of the
TweakUI created by the Windows Shell Teams.  TweakUI wasn't a gconftool, it
was instead an application that would tweak options that were available to
advanced Windows users but were not exposed through the normal GUIs.

I would oppose something like making a kregedit or kconftool the method that
people have to use to set advanced options as well.

For that matter I don't think user levels are a great idea.  The best
suggestion I've heard so far for adding an "Advanced" button was to have a
"Infrequently used options" button or something to that effect.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne