Proposed new KDateTime class

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 01:17:08 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 Nov 2005 06:20, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to bring your attention to my ExtDateTime class (also: ExtDate,
> ExtDatePicker, ExtDateTimeEdit), which you can find at
> kdeedu/libkdeedu/extdate
>
> ExtDate is an extension of QDate, removing the arbitrary restriction on the
> range of years.  Well, there is still an arbitrary restriction, but the
> range of years is -50000 to 50000 instead if 1752 to 8000.  The other
> classes simply extend date-related classes and widgets to use ExtDate
> instead of QDate.
>
> As far as I know, KStars is the only app using ExtDate, and maybe it's the
> only app that would ever want this extended date range.  Nevertheless, I'd
> like to propose that the new KDateTime class incorporates the relevant
> features of ExtDateTime.

My idea was to simply provide an extension of QDateTime, which would be
sufficient for most applications. Isn't there a problem trying to handle
pre-Gregorian system dates, since different countries adopted the Gregorian
system at different times? For the class to be easily used, we surely have to
make an assumption that dates will only be specified for periods when the
Gregorian system was in operation.

If other people think that we should provide an extended date coverage, I'll
look at doing that.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.