kdialog/knotify and URLs

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Nov 7 20:37:32 GMT 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 02:25 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 05 November 2005 23:17, Brad Hards wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 November 2005 09:07 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I agree. However there are a couple of things:
> > 1. Last time this came up, the suggestion was that this shouldn't be
> > turned on by default. At least, it needs to be able to be disabled.
>
> You mean for kdialog or KMessageBox generally?
For kdialog.

> > 2. Just doing it for a couple of versions is wrong. If it works for some
> > dialogs, it needs to work for them all.
>
> I am not sure which other dialogs support links, i just tracked down the
> ones using KMessageBox
Anything you can put text that looks like a link should work - this is your
point, right? So just KMessageBox isn't enough.

> > Perhaps we don't want to do this for 3.5 (certainly not without an
> > off-by-default), because of the change in behaviour. Maybe just do it for
> > KDE4.
>
> The problem is: it looks like a link, it behaves like a link (cursor
> suggest one can click), but it doesn't work, which makes it look broken.
>
> If I'd encounter that in any other application I'd consider it a bug.
I see your point, however there are a number of users of kdialog, and they
have expectations of future behaviour based on the current behaviour. If you
want to add it for 3.5 (and that is a good plan), it shouldn't be on by
default. Add yet another option, and turn on AllowForce if that option is
set.
Or only commit for KDE4.

Brad