kdialog/knotify and URLs

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 7 21:02:20 GMT 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 21:37, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Monday 07 November 2005 02:25 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 November 2005 23:17, Brad Hards wrote:
> > > On Saturday 05 November 2005 09:07 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > I agree. However there are a couple of things:
> > > 1. Last time this came up, the suggestion was that this shouldn't be
> > > turned on by default. At least, it needs to be able to be disabled.
> >
> > You mean for kdialog or KMessageBox generally?
>
> For kdialog.

What are the bad implications of enabling it?
Would it be possible to enable it and add extra action restrictions to make it
safe?

I'll try to find the older discussion about it in the archives, but maybe
someone remembers parts of the details

> > > 2. Just doing it for a couple of versions is wrong. If it works for
> > > some dialogs, it needs to work for them all.
> >
> > I am not sure which other dialogs support links, i just tracked down the
> > ones using KMessageBox
>
> Anything you can put text that looks like a link should work - this is your
> point, right? So just KMessageBox isn't enough.

I tried using an URL in --progressbar and it does indeed look like a link.
But other than the messagebox variants it doesn't react like on, i.e. the
mouse cursor doesn't change.
It just looks like blue underlined text.

I guess that the other variants do not use KActiveLabel as the text display
widget.

It might be too difficult to change all these dialog classes as well, even if
it would be nice.

> > The problem is: it looks like a link, it behaves like a link (cursor
> > suggest one can click), but it doesn't work, which makes it look broken.
> >
> > If I'd encounter that in any other application I'd consider it a bug.
>
> I see your point, however there are a number of users of kdialog, and they
> have expectations of future behaviour based on the current behaviour. If
> you want to add it for 3.5 (and that is a good plan), it shouldn't be on by
> default. Add yet another option, and turn on AllowForce if that option is
> set.

I thought of adding an option (commandline option) but this will break i18n
freeze, won't it?

If it isn't possible for 3.5.0, maybe for a latter release in the 3.5 series?

> Or only commit for KDE4.

I'll leave the KDE4 development to the developers with vision :)

The issue isn't a big problem, kdialog has been shipped this way for a long
time now and this is the first time I ever read a question concerning kdialog
and URLs (and I do a lot of user support stuff)

But there is an increase in scripting related questions and I expect this to
get even more important in the future.

Cheers,
Kevin

--