kdialog/knotify and URLs

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 6 15:25:29 GMT 2005

On Saturday 05 November 2005 23:17, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Saturday 05 November 2005 09:07 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > For example
> > kdialog --msgbox "<a href='http://www.kde.org/'>KDE</a>"
> >
> > shows an information messagebox with a link, the cursor changes to hand
> > cursor when over the link but clicking does nothing, thus making it look
> > broken :(
> >
> > The issue is a result if the default for the "options" parameter to the
> > KMessageBox methods. It needs AllowLink to be passed to react on clicks
> > but the default is only Notify.
> > The attached patch (against 3.5 branch) would fix that for kdialog.
>
> I agree. However there are a couple of things:
> 1. Last time this came up, the suggestion was that this shouldn't be turned
> on by default. At least, it needs to be able to be disabled.

You mean for kdialog or KMessageBox generally?

> 2. Just doing it for a couple of versions is wrong. If it works for some
> dialogs, it needs to work for them all.

I am not sure which other dialogs support links, i just tracked down the ones
using KMessageBox

> Perhaps we don't want to do this for 3.5 (certainly not without an
> off-by-default), because of the change in behaviour. Maybe just do it for
> KDE4.

The problem is: it looks like a link, it behaves like a link (cursor suggest
one can click), but it doesn't work, which makes it look broken.

If I'd encounter that in any other application I'd consider it a bug.

If using the AllowLink flag is considered bad, it might be better, if
possible, to create a patch that removes links or escapes something so they
end up as plain text.

Cheers,
Kevin
--