Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Tue May 31 13:05:18 BST 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:34 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> I'm also fine with whole of kdepim joining trunk development only in
> august. I even suggest we remove kdepim from trunk then and copy it back
> into trunk later. But that doesn't work for kicker. We really need a
> gradually ported KDE4 to test changes done to the framework. And we have to
> make sure we're not loosing overview - and if all KDE 3.5 development is
> going to be merged by me, we're going to loose overview.
An alternative strategy:
0. Only port kdelibs to Qt4 at this stage
1. Do the application porting as an experiment/testcase only - a few tricky
apps from kdebase, a couple of little ones, a couple of bigger ones. Don't
try for a complete, stable port.
2. Spend the time between now and the 3.5 freeze on kdelibs polishing - can we
get 100% code coverage in tests? could we valgrind kdelibs (tests) completely
clean? Could we document it better?

Then when 3.5 is done, and kdelibs is mature, then the port will be a big hit,
but kdelibs may be in better shape, Qt4 will at least be released, and there
won't be so much bidirectional porting to annoy application authors.

Brad