Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue May 31 07:34:39 BST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 00:05, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i noticed people have touched kde4/kdebase/kicker which i really wish they
> hadn't. if you had to run a KDE3 linked kicker for another month or two i
> doubt it would've been a cause of great consternation, but making changes
> in kicker right now really doesn't mesh with the schedule i've set out,
> much as with the kdepim people .. the only difference is that in my case i
> had the end of June as my 3.5 feature freeze (everything thereafter will be
> bug fixes or tweaks to things like default settings only) ... i plan to
> stick to that schedule, and i truly hope that changes made to kicker in the
> kde4 branch won't make that harder than necessary ... i'll live either way,
> it's just a matter of how efficiently i'll live ;)
For now I merge over changes done in trunk and it's still pretty easy to merge
as we haven't done too many changes that can't be easily reverted and redone
(calling qt3to4 and get it to compile). And as I said: if your feature freeze
is end of june, that's fine. You just switch working to 3.5 branch and leave
trunk alone for the month. If you're done, you port it over in one go - either
reusing or overwriting the changes done in trunk so far.

I'm also fine with whole of kdepim joining trunk development only in august.
I even suggest we remove kdepim from trunk then and copy it back into trunk
later. But that doesn't work for kicker. We really need a gradually ported
KDE4 to test changes done to the framework. And we have to make sure we're
not loosing overview - and if all KDE 3.5 development is going to be merged by
me, we're going to loose overview. So I want a change in policy who is
responsible for merging KDE 3.5 development into the then main development
branch - I don't want to dictate a policy on when this needs to be done and
not even how.

Greetings, Stephan

Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch
Shanti Vrede Baris Rój Mír Taika Rongo Sulh Py'guapy 평화