Qt4addons module?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 27 22:04:19 BST 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>Another point is that if you change from a Qt to a KDE application, you
> get everything: the KDE config system, the various daemons start,
> KCmdLineArgs, etc.
>We have a lot of classes which are just enhanced Qt classes with no
> direct relation to the KDE framework which could very well be used by
> Qt-only apps.

If people want to copy those classes into their programs and use them,
they are free to do so. The license is LGPL (or less) for a reason.

If we mount a library of "Qt-only useful classes", I think we'll end up
with libkdecore, just like David said. I didn't count, but I would bet
that the number of classes that don't compile/link/work on Windows is a
small minority when compared to the whole.

On my side, I know that the socket classes don't work on Windows (and,
what's even more problematic, there are no Unix sockets on Windows). The
reason for that is that I don't know the winsock API and have no
intention of learning.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.