Qt4addons module?

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Mon May 30 12:57:35 BST 2005

Am Freitag, 27. Mai 2005 11:13 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:
> On Friday 27 May 2005 10:08, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > > I wasn't thinking about a single library that has only a Qt dependency
> > > (which would probably end up being kdecore, all over again). I was
> > > thinking more about a single module containing several stand-alone
> > > parts, which are already compiled to separate .so (as plugins), and
> > > which could potentially be useful independent of KDE, and independent
> > > of each other.
> >
> > This would be very useful to Qt coders. Many of them don't want to link
> > to all of KDE, but would use (and very likely also contribute to) single
> > parts. IMHO we also should advertise more what we have.
>
> and why they don't want to link against kdecore/kdeui and co? because there
> is no way to have this working on windows atm (in a sane way), which is one
> of the top points of pure qt apps against kde apps atm.. If we get this
> libs working with QT4 and windows, I don't think there is much point to
> outsource stuff, as than most parts of kdelibs are general usable for pure
> qt apps everywhere.

Yes, that is one very important reason. Others are:

- right now if they want to use one widget, they need to do major changes in
their code (switch to KApplication instead of QApplication, use KConfig, etc)

- every API you need to link to increases the risk of incompatibilities during
your product cycle

- all of kdelibs is rather large, on the disk and in memory

- kde apps need infrastructure and if you start them on gnome or xfce they are
pretty slow. Qt apps are faster.

- in order to be independent from the system most Qt developers copy over the
code. All of kdelibs is a bit large to copy over.
Dependency is here ment in terms of code stability (they don't want to be
forced to port anything, over years), binary stability (API
incompatibilites), availability (customers might run gnome or even xfce).
Actually they even bring their own qt lib along.

It would be great to have:
- greater modularity
- garantied stability at least for some modules

Greetings,
eva

> cu
> Christoph