QUrl in KDE 4

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 20 06:08:15 BST 2005

Michael Pyne wrote:
>The theory's all well and good guys, but if people are using a URL, it's
>because they don't *need* a URI, which generally means they're not doing
>URI-like things to it.  If programs are trying to turn URLs into URIs in
> a class that doesn't design it, they're buggy.

I'm sorry, but reality proves you wrong. People ARE using URIs, even if
they don't know they are.

The prime example are mailto: URIs. They are not URLs, yet everyone
expects them to work with KURL and QUrl.

If you try to tell people "you can use ONLY URLs with this class and for
the rest you must use QString", you'll get problems.

Whatever KDE4 uses for KURL's replacement, it must handle mailto:
(including ToASCII on the domain part), and ed2k. What Qt will never do
is read .protocol files, like KURL does. A compromise has to be found.

I, for one, wouldn't miss ed2k if it were completely dumped and regarded
as invalid (because it is). Users would not agree with me, nor would many
developers.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.