QUrl in KDE 4

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Fri May 20 04:35:11 BST 2005

On Thursday 19 May 2005 11:08 pm, John Firebaugh wrote:
> On May 19, 2005, at 7:02 PM, Frans Englich wrote:
> > As Thiago, I disagree, because with that approach you will find the
> > problem in
> > any object oriented design; where something is a subset,
> > constrainment, of
> > something wider -- what class hierarchies usually are about,
> > AFAICT. A square
> > is a subset of the recangle's value space, so to speak.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Hence, I don't see representation problem Thiago sees. Perhaps an
> > elaboration
> > can be provided?
>
> On the contrary, class hierarchies are ill suited to this type of
> subset relationship:

The theory's all well and good guys, but if people are using a URL, it's
because they don't *need* a URI, which generally means they're not doing
URI-like things to it.  If programs are trying to turn URLs into URIs in a
class that doesn't design it, they're buggy.

Besides, in the hypothetical Square.setDim(10, 5) example, you could have the
Square throw an exception or otherwise not comply.  It is, after all, a
Square.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne