KDE 4 namespaces

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon May 9 20:36:06 BST 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 08:55, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2005 10:25, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Montag 09 Mai 2005 02:42 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> > > I'm against changing our namespaces.
> >
> > I'm with Cornelius here. Introducing namespaces to KDE seems to be
> > more political correctness than technically feasible.
> >
> > As beginner you would not just have to figure you want KConfig, no
> > you would need to figure what name space is that in, what clashes
> > a use "KDE::Core" introduces, what class names you will have to prefix
> > to make it compile again, etc. etc. For little to no gain.
>
> Yes. However we do use namespaces already, and in a very inconsistent way
> (half of KIO is under the KIO namespace, the other half isn't).

Agreed.

We can all express our personal opinions about namespaces back and forth, but
a fact is that libraries in KDE use namespaces. Hence, the demand is clearly
there, what remains is to ensure that the libraries looks as good as possible
from those conditions. IMHO.

Personally, I don't mind namespaces(roughly Leo's position), simply for what
they provide: scoping sets of names. KDE's libraries are huge; and the 4-5
years that will follow /after/ 1-2 years of KDE 4 development won't make
things smaller.

Related topics are language bindings(I don't see any trouble), and directory
layout for header files(I guess it's a 1:1 mapping, KCOW::Moo -
$(includedir)/kcow/moo.h).

Cheers,

		Frans