KDE 4 namespaces

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 9 21:07:11 BST 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 01:29, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> But signals and slots become a problem: it's string comparison, so the old
> name must be used throughout, if this class is passed as a parameter in
> any signal or slot.

worse yet, it's a run-time string comparison. so we won't be able to rely on
the compiler to catch these things for us. we'll have to comb the source
carefully and watch for broken behaviour and track debug output. this seems
to be just way too much annoyance, something we should keep at a bare
minimum.

we will not only  be carrying over libraries from KDE3, but also likely add a
fair number of _new_ capabilities to KDE4 that developers will need to become
aquainted with.

if we can maintain the accrued KDE3 knowledge and application code bases as
much as possible (within reason), this will give developers more time and
energy to learn these new things. i'd personally prefer to see those limited
resources spent taking advantage of the new things we bring rather than spent
on re-learning things for reasons of theoretical "beauty" which don't result
in any commensurate value.

--
Aaron J. Seigo