KDE 4 namespaces

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 9 21:02:16 BST 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 02:55, David Faure wrote:
> How about a half-way solution?

s,half-way,pragmatic,

> * kdecore and kdeui are sort of extensions to Qt, they can very well follow
> the same naming rules, i.e. keep the current KFoo and KBar there without
> namespaces. (this basically removes Core, UI, Network and IPC from the
> initial proposal).
>
> * but for libs "above" those (KIO, KParts, KABC, etc.), we would use
> namespaces. We already mostly do, except for half of KIO.
> On the other hand, a KIO-namespaced class can't move to kdecore later (like
> KSycoca did), so we have to make sure to get it right from the start.
> Let's see what this would look like:
> KArchive -> KIO::Archive, KDirLister -> KIO::DirLister, KMimeType ->
> KIO::MimeType. Why not? With typedefs to ease the porting, only
> signals/slots need to be fixed, and I don't think anyone passes any of
> those in a signal :)

i think this is a straightforward solution that puts as little burdon on
people porting applications from KDE3 to KDE4 while granting the
'second-level' libs which already tend to use namespaces (e.g. KIO and
KParts) the benefits they would reap from consistent use of namespaces.

--
Aaron J. Seigo