Error compiling kdeartwork SVN TRUNK: You cannot use Qt 4.ui-files with Qt/KDE 3!

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Jun 17 14:22:23 BST 2005

Chris Howells said:
> On Friday 17 June 2005 12:29, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>> Hello, Everyone :)
>> When compiling a fresh download of kdeartwork from SVN TRUNK, I got the
>>
>> following error: [...]

First of all, how old is your unsermake? My original version detection
code was rather pedantic and insisted on a version being available. Some 6
weeks or so ago Coolo changed that to default to assuming Qt Designer 3.0
or something when the version is unknown, and thus there should always be
a fallback.

>> I followed the instructions quoted above, and did the following:
>> 1. Re-ran unsermake -f Makefile.cvs

Is that identical to 'make -f Makefile.cvs'? AFAIK you should not use
unsermake for this step, but only for actual compiles and links. At least
that's how I've always been doing it and unlike the compile and link steps
there is no warning that I should call unsermake directly for make -f
Makefile.cvs.

> This is a bug in unsermake somewhere relating to Makefile.in generation.
> For some reason that file doesn't get added to QT3_UIFILES in Makefile.in
> and then the resulting Makefile is wrong also.

That's because the version is unknown. Unknown in the 'old' code means
"fix the UI file" (or in this case, fix the detection, the .ui says Qt
3.3, so the regexp is wrong somewhere, can't test from work). As a
workaround you could change the Makefile.am to explicitly change the file
in the virtual file firesaversetup.ui3 (without renaming the real file!),
but besides getting the thing to build for now that's not the real
solution.

--
Martijn