Build system for KDE4

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:57:38 BST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 tnagyemail-ml at yahoo.fr wrote:

> How many people actually tried the scons build scripts for kdegames when
> i made it available ? Many projects, like kdissert, abakus, .., use
> scons routinely for building and installing by the way.

here's my two cents after a very brief foray into trying scons: a very
large part of success behind auto* is availability of canned solutions
(like checking sizeof(void*), pkg-config, and others ). scons is a bit
immature in that aspect in the sense that these solutions are either not
available or scattered across the web in form of recipes which a user
needs to paste into his SConscript files. But it should be very possible
to build a repository of these in an admin directory similar to that of
kde-common; so that users can easily call them in the SConscript files
without having to know a whole lot of python programming.

renchi