SUBMISSION: New Library for kdesupport: indexlib

André Wöbbeking Woebbeking at onlinehome.de
Thu Jun 9 15:51:21 BST 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 11:56, David Faure wrote:

> This is the first time KDE would depend on boost, I'm not sure if
> everyone will be happy with yet-another-dependency

Especially those which want to keep their ancient compilers.

> (is boost even
> packaged by most distributors at the moment)?

At least Debian and SuSE do.

> boost is usually mostly template stuff - can't you copy the stuff you
> need (assuming there isn't too much of it) into indexlib? Of course
> if lots of places in KDE start to rely on boost we would reconsider
> this, but for now...

boost is very nice. It provides stuff which will be in the next C++
standard or things we already use i.e. shared_ptr or real C++
signals/slots (without any moc). But I didn't try boost with QTL
(neither Qt3 nor Qt4). If boost doesn't work with Qt much of it would
be worthless for us.