SUBMISSION: New Library for kdesupport: indexlib

kde-mls at luispedro.org kde-mls at luispedro.org
Thu Jun 9 18:27:01 BST 2005

André Wöbbeking <Woebbeking at onlinehome.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 June 2005 11:56, David Faure wrote:
>> This is the first time KDE would depend on boost, I'm not sure if
>> everyone will be happy with yet-another-dependency
> Especially those which want to keep their ancient compilers.

Actually, according to
http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/1_32_0/developer/summary.html
most things do work with gcc 2.95 which is as ancient as it gets nowadays,
I think.

>> boost is usually mostly template stuff - can't you copy the stuff you
>> need (assuming there isn't too much of it) into indexlib? Of course
>> if lots of places in KDE start to rely on boost we would reconsider
>> this, but for now...
>
> boost is very nice. It provides stuff which will be in the next C++
> standard or things we already use i.e. shared_ptr or real C++
> signals/slots (without any moc). But I didn't try boost with QTL
> (neither Qt3 nor Qt4). If boost doesn't work with Qt much of it would
> be worthless for us.

QTL3 is lacking somethings which don't allow it to work with STL, for
example. I hope some of this has been fixed for Qt4 especially as it is
mostly trivial stuff (adding typedefs and what's not). I had hoped to see
QTL deprecated to real STL, but alas...

Still, most of boost isn't related to STL-like stuff.

bye,
luispedro