Compatibility between KDE 3 and KDE 4

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jun 7 13:02:08 BST 2005

Martijn Klingens wrote:
>I was referring to /etc/kde-user-profile/martijn/share/config/kmailrc4
> vs /etc/kde-user-profile/kde4-martijn/share/config/kmailrc vs
>/etc/kde-user-profile-4/martijn/share/config/kmailrc vs something else
>even. Here there are options to both suffix the files and the dirs.

Hmm... no opinion on that. Can anyone show a valid technical reason to
choose one over the other?

>> In fact, I think we should read both files, as well as both
>> environment variables. The "4" version should override, if found,
>> similarly to what XFree86 did to XF86Config vs XF86Config-4.
>
>I much rather see a one-time conversion triggered by e.g. kconf_update
> or so, because the additional stat calls for nonexisting files are a
> performance burden. If there's no strong technical need (which i'm not
> sure yet, but hope not), I wouldn't add stuff like this that affects
> *every* KDE 4 app (we're talking kdeglobals, of all files).

You've got a point there. The less stat calls, the better.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.