Compatibility between KDE 3 and KDE 4

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 19:10:51 BST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 08:02 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Martijn Klingens wrote:
> >I was referring to /etc/kde-user-profile/martijn/share/config/kmailrc4
> > vs /etc/kde-user-profile/kde4-martijn/share/config/kmailrc vs
> >/etc/kde-user-profile-4/martijn/share/config/kmailrc vs something else
> >even. Here there are options to both suffix the files and the dirs.
>
> Hmm... no opinion on that. Can anyone show a valid technical reason to
> choose one over the other?

Well none of these can be read by KDE 3 apps, but if we suffix the dir instead
of the file then in theory users can copy over their old conf files.
Besides, don't we already default $KDEHOME to $HOME/.kde3 anyways?

Then again, if we expect the configuration files to also change drastically
(and why shouldn't we. ;), then that may do more harm than good.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne