QSound use? (was: Re: Request for moving kdelibs/arts/knotify outside the arts directory)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jun 2 22:30:41 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 2. Juni 2005 14:57 schrieb Kuba Ober:
> > BTW: I'm wondering why KDE does not use QSound like it uses many other QT
> > classes at least as option or enhance QSound to support more than one
sound
> > system. This would be more straightforward adn require duplicate
> > implementations.
>
> Did you look at what QSound does and tried using what it purports to do? If
> not, then let me just say that it plain doesn't work. Unless what you want
> to do is just to play a .wav file from beginning to the end.
> Looping and
> stopping generally doesn't work (tried it). NAS-only support for unices is a
> big joke as well (just how many people have it?). Its implementation is a
> horrible bloat it seems too.

That looks to me as that trolltech does not have any interest in a real sound
(or multimedia) implementation in qt. Isn't nobody using qt for sound
processing ? It's a pity, because in much other platform independent area qt
provides very good stuff.

> I had to write a new class myself in order to do sound output that works on
> windows and oss systems and actually does implement QSound's functionality
> properly.

Is these class public available that it could be used in a new kde sound
implementation ?
--
Ralf Habacker