X-KDE-IsAlso=text/plain

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Wed Jul 27 00:20:06 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 21:21, schrieb Andras Mantia:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 22:11, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Sorry I do not like it.
> >
> > The mime type text/plain is about human-readable text, which things
> > like application/xhtml+xml or text/html or even source mime types are
> > certainly not.
> >
> > RFC 2046:
> >
> > <quote>The subtype "plain" in
> >           particular indicates plain text containing no
> >           formatting commands or directives of any sort. Plain
> >           text is intended to be displayed "as-is".</quote>
>
> Than how can we know if a files can be opened in a text editor or not?

The question is rather "should be opened", not "can be opened". This is an
partially unsolved problem the (well, my :) hexedit part stirred up some time
ago*. See the thread "khexedit2 shows up everywhere" on this list**.

Take an svg file. What type of applications/handlers to you expect to deal
with it? SVG editor? XML editor? Text editor? Byte stream editor? All can
handle an svg file: SVG is XML is text is byte stream. What do we expect in a
file browsing application? What in a developer application? What elsewhere?

I started*** some idea along the lines of sematic levels. But there has never
been some further discussion, neglecting other ideas. Please push this a
little more...

* Solved by simply unregistering it for now #(
** http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110943084215798&w=2
*** http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=111022408818769&w=2

Regards
Friedrich