RFC: KBookmarkMerger

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Sun Jan 30 00:44:59 GMT 2005

Moin,

I attached the source code for a little tool called 'kbookmarkmerger'. Using
the new features I committed a few moments ago to kdelibs/kio/bookmarks, it
allows system administrators to merge bookmark files into a user's bookmark
list. I'm building this thing in kdebase/konqueror/keditbookmarks myself -
just copy it there and adjust the Makefile.am accordingly.

This idea was spawned by an administrator of my uni who asked me whether there
is a way to add a bookmark to some new site to the bookmark lists of all
users. The URLs to some internally used documents changed, and he wanted the
new links to show up in everybody bookmarks magically.
This tool might be useful for distributors as well, since it's now possible to
have e.g. the python-doc package (containing the Python API Documentation)
install a 'python-doc.xml' file into some special directory (which the
distributor can choose freely) and on the next kbookmarkmerger run, that link
will automatically show up in the user's bookmarks.

I'm well aware of the fact that many people do not like such intrusive
behaviour, but I also know that some system administrators would like this
(and FWIW, I personally like the idea of having certain packages show links
to the manuals which they provide in my bookmarks as well). Hence this tool
should probably not be run by default.

It'd be nice to know what other people think about such a mechanism - I'm
especially trying to come up with situations in which it might be abused.

- Frerich